Nickel in Jewellery

All of our jewellery meet the European standards (Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006) for Nickel and is safe to wear. See here the standard for Nickel in this regulation.

Nickel is a well-known skin allergen and a common cause of allergic contact dermatitis. Nickel sensitization is the process of becoming allergic or sensitised to nickel. Nickel allergic contact dermatitis (NACD) is the allergic reaction in nickel-sensitised people. People who are allergic to nickel may experience a skin reaction, usually inflammation and itching, when they come in direct and prolonged contact with items releasing a sufficiently high amount of nickel.

Three conditions are needed and must be met simultaneously for sensitization or NACD reactions to occur:

  1. The contact with the skin must be direct;
  2. The direct skin contact must be continuous prolonged on the same part of the skin;
  3. A sufficiently high amount of nickel ions must be released and absorbed into the

Many people worldwide have become sensitised to Nickel through Jewellery or body piercings which do not meet the European Nickel standard.